Teen and Student Express
Teen and Student Express provides teens with materials and services geared to their interests and needs. There are items for recreational reading as well as resources for homework support.
- Classic novels
- Databases and other online tools
- Non-circulating materials for in-depth research
- Nonfiction covering all subjects written for a teen audience
- Novels and nonfiction relevant to the teen African American experience
- Popular teen fiction
- Research and homework help aids
- Teen magazines
- Teen self-help books
- Western and Japanese-style graphic novels
Collections of Note:
This teens-only area contains circulating nonfiction to help middle and high school students with homework as well as non-circulating materials for more in-depth research. There is also a computer lab for recreational and research needs including databases designed for teen users. Student Express provides seating for group projects and library activities.
Pratt Librarian Margaret Edwards was among the first librarians in the United States to recognize and promote teen fiction as separate from works written for children and for adults. She began the Teen fiction collection in the 1930s. Today the Teen retrospective collection includes novels from 1930 onward. It is the only public library collection of its kind in Maryland.